Hearing Loss Counseling
At Physicians Hearing Center in Dothan, Alabama, we know that there’s more to treating your hearing loss than prescribing hearing aids.
In addition to our Complete Hearing Healthcare Program, our audiologists also provide information and counseling on how to cope with your hearing loss, adjust to your new hearing aids, and improve your communication skills. After your hearing evaluation, we review your results, identify the type and severity of your hearing loss, and discuss how your hearing loss affects your life and the lives of others around you.
We discuss the following topics during our hearing loss counseling sessions:
- how hearing aids work to prevent anxiety, depression, anger, frustration and a decline in social activity.
- long-term negative effects of untreated hearing loss on your cognitive and emotional health
- how to improve your listening and hearing skills
One of the most important steps in improving your quality of life is acknowledging you have hearing loss and learning to be assertive when dealing with it. Let others know you have hearing loss and tell them what you need and how they can help. This team effort will make communicating easier and life better.
Some of the tips we offer:
- When communicating, inform others that you have hearing loss and request that they look at you directly, and speak slowly and clearly. Move closer when you’re unable to hear or read lips.
- Be patient - your brain needs to relearn how to differentiate between sounds. Learning to hear again is more than just inserting your hearing aids and trying to listen.
- Be sure to make your loved ones aware that there is an adjustment period so that no one gets discouraged.
- Look into hearing aid accessories that may take your hearing experience to the next level.
Discover the difference at Physicians Hearing Center in Dothan, Alabama, where you’ll find extensive evaluations, individual solutions and unparalleled follow-up care. We’ve been providing comprehensive hearing healthcare services to patients in the Dothan community since 1977. Contact us today!